Sunday, May 15, 2011

The New Show Voice

'The Voice' exit interview: Niki Dawson

Sunday, May 15 2011, 1:45pm EDT
By Lara Martin, News Editor
Nikki Dawson from The Voice
© NBC Universal


The Voice contestant Niki Dawson has said that she was happy with her final performance on the show.

The 19-year-old from Florida performed 'Perfect' by Pink for her battle round performance on Tuesday, which saw her eliminated from the competition over teammate Vicci Martinez.

"The song was pretty close to perfect for me," she told reporters on a conference call. "I was used to singing the lower parts but I took the high parts [and Vicci took the low parts] even though it wasn't my thing.

"I was impressed with myself because I didn't think I could hold the high note that long. It was intense for me. I worked with myself and pushed myself to another level and I'm really thankful Cee Lo saw that in me."

The teenager was sent home after her mentor Cee Lo Green - who was advised by Monica in rehearsals - chose to advance Martinez to the next round, but said she had no regrets about choosing the musician as her coach.

"I'm pretty happy with my choice," she said, when quizzed about who else she would have liked to work with. 'Maybe Adam [Levine] but I think I've gotten so at home with the feeling of working with Monica and Cee Lo.

"Monica said that she was impressed by the uniqueness in my voice which was really weird because I thought I sounded pretty plain and didn't think I had a unique sound in my voice at all… Even if I didn't make it through, I would still want to be on that team."

The Jacksonville native continued to say that she found the experience of performing in the battle round easier than her initial blind audition. "Going through my head at that moment was to put on the game face because you don't want to look scared and don't want to look like a deer in the headlights and just get ready to sing this song," she said. "At the audition, I thought I was going to die but this time I thought, 'I like this song and I'm ready to sing my heart out'."

Discussing what she learned about herself from the experience, she told reporters that she now understood the nature of the TV and music industries, and the desire to push herself to the best of her abilities to succeed.

As for her future plans, the teenager - who is backing current contestant Javier Colon on the show - said that she has nothing set in stone yet but is hoping to return to Florida and start building her fanbase.

"I'm not like Tarralyn or Frenchie or someone who has a big old community," she said. "I'm just starting, like a little ant. I'm going to try to grow a little bit and reach out and find myself. Hopefully something good will come out of that."

She also admitted that she'd love to realize her dream of appearing on the Disney Channel in some capacity. "I love the channel to death and I've always wanted to do something for them," she said. "I don't care if it's a tiny little part. I want to be on Disney Channel so bad!"

In the meantime, she told reporters that the most memorable thing she will take away from The Voice is knowing that Cee Lo saw something special in her as a performer. 

Let me know what you guys think keep watching the show on Tuesdays at 10 channel 7 nbc eastern time

1 comment:

  1. Bloggers the ones that have viewed my page I wanted to let you thank you!

    ReplyDelete